Saturday, June 20, 2009

Our first week of Summer Break



Silas started the week off by going to the emergency room and finding out that he had Croup. He is well with only a little cough now. Liam has been fighting off the same cold and not sleeping well at night. During one of the times this week after receiving some correction, I shared a verse with Liam and as I started to read it, he said, “no, Mommy Genesis 1:1 and so I just said the verse he wanted and moved on. It was a hug from the Lord and brought joy to my heart. We have had lots of extra time at home this week. It was a blessing that the girls had swimming lessons start to get us out of the house for a short time. The girls made some brownies this week with their own hands and only verbal instruction from me when it was needed. As you can see below that girls seemed to enjoy their accomplishment and I love how Ayla cut the brownies. As they where busy with the brownies I was preaching to myself to let them make a mess and not correct them. My heart has been heavy this week to teach by my example and asking myself what does my example show? As it says in John 13:15 "For I have given you an example, that you also should do just as I have done to you." This leads me to another thought...What does God want me to accomplish this summer? When I think of summer I always think of rest and not work. I'm going to be working on applying the verses below.

Psalms 118:24

"This is the day that the Lord has made;
let us rejoice and be glad in it."

Psalm 73:26

"My flesh and my heart may fail, but

God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever."

Psalms 90:12

"So teach us to number our days
that we may get a heart of wisdom."




















3 comments:

Matt5verse6 said...

Yeah, girls! Fabulous job on the brownies!!! Ooh, that sounds so good! Think I'll make some brownies as a sweet treat for Chuck's Father's Day. :) Miss you guys! So glad we got to see you the other day! Much love!!! ♥

The Pichura Family said...

Karen..thank you for sharing what you did...it is so easy for me to just want to "do it all myself" so it gets done right, etc...I really needed your sweet encouragement (and the pictures that went with it!) to remind myself of the blessing of allowing my kids to learn and grow!!!

For His Glory said...

Karen I love it! What a sweet encouragement you are to my own heart and thank you for sharing becaues it helped me to stop and evaluate my own heart motives...I thought the idea of letting them read the directions and make brownies was great and clever!