Saturday, October 17, 2009

What I learned from a toilet


David and I have had a toilet that has been running on and off for a couple years. Talk about putting something off. Tonight I fixed it with 3 dollars and 5 minutes. I had to think back about how many times we avoided that bathroom in the middle of the night to not have to get up and jiggle the handle. Or how many times I would ignore the sound and not want to get up to jiggle it and then think about how much water I was wasting so I would get up and do something about it. Like I have shared in older post I'm learning why putting things off if wrong. Think about it for a minute..How much time did I spend training myself to use the other bathroom or how much time did I train myself to not hear the toilet? Too much time...I say all this to make the point that if we aren't working on putting things off then we are putting something on...The girls where watching a show tonight and after they watched it Ayla and Holly where talking in the bathroom...Ayla says to Holly I think you shouldn't watch that show because you are acting just like her" bossy"...What we fill ourselves up with will come out...I want to glorify God with my life every step of the way, but I can't do it on my own. Below is a posting from blog a visit often..http://www.sovereigngraceministries.org

The To-Do Lists Are Never Done
by C.J. Mahaney 3/26/2009 2:46:00 PM Only God gets his to-do list done each day.

This simple sentence informs how I begin my day, what I expect to accomplish during the day, and how I close each day.

When I step out of my office and turn the light off at the end of my day, and the list of to-dos is incomplete, I say to my secretary, “Nora, we will try again tomorrow.” This brief statement is an acknowledgment of my limitations, and is my way of saying that—once again—I didn’t get everything done. It’s a moment for me to cultivate humility.

No matter how much planning, scheduling, and discipline is present in my life, I will never completely redeem the time. I am a finite creature, limited in what I can accomplish, and further limited by my sin. So it should surprise nobody that I leave to-dos undone each and every day. My joy is not derived from the flawless execution of my goals. My joy each day is derived from the person and work of Jesus Christ on the cross.
Only God gets his to-do list done each day. I need the cross of Christ each day.

3 comments:

For His Glory said...

OOOOh! Karen That is sooo neat and thank you for posting, I think a lot of us moms struggle here...But that post was really refreshing :)

Matt5verse6 said...

Karen, I am so thankful for your post today. I have been struggling with stalling lately (putting off what needs to be done) and your post was a sweet conviction to stop hemming and hawing and get on with walking the path God has so clearly placed before me. Thank you for the much needed kick in the pants. :) Much love.

The Pichura Family said...

Loved it....how many areas of our lives are like your leaky toilet...hmmm...got me thinking!

And way to go my "fix-it" friend!!! :)