Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Our First Day Back to School


The first day back went well and I'm tired. I did n't get enough sleep last night and I forgot how physically draining school can be at times. It's all the juggling, it's through daily or minute by minute prayer that I have to seek wisdom on what to do next. In time we will get back into a route, but right now I just want a nap. The kids where very excited about school today and did well. I've seen lots growth in Ayla. Her attention span is longer and she understands things more quickly. What a great help that is. And Holly is a very young first grader. She will be 6 at the end of this month and I could see her age in her work. I say this because she seem so mature in so many other ways that I forget what she can and can't do. It was a great reminder that I have to be careful not to except too much from her. Today she was drawn to tears because I pushed her too hard. God is faithfully showing me that in everything I do too much. Liam and Silas did well together. It seemed like a normal day with them. Liam has grown a step in potty training the last two days. I put him on the potty and he goes within 1 minutes or so. He is so cute...The timer goes off and he says, "WHATS THAT???' I tell him it's time to go potty. I help him get everything ready and then I leave him and he says,"I DID IT!!!" Then he gets a skittle and shares some with his sisters. That was a blessing today to see a constant quick pee. We had a great first day and tonight I'm in bed by 9pm.

I just started ending my morning devotions with a chapter in a book called, "Humility True Greatness" by C.J. Mahaney... I leave you with this quote from it..."Yes, amazingly, humility sometimes attracts the world's notice....But here's something even more astonishing: Humility gets God's attention. In Isaiah 66:2 we read these words from the Lord: "This is the one to whom I look: he who is humble and contrite in spirit and trembles at my word....John Calvin wrote, " It is evident that man never attains to a true self-knowledge until he has previously contemplated the face of God, and come down after such contemplation to look into himself...." Humility is honestly assessing ourselves in light of God's holiness and our sinfulness...

4 comments:

The Pichura Family said...

Karen...your homeschool room looks FANTASTIC!!!! Is that an extra room in your house?

So glad you got day one under your belt!

Love you!

crystal said...

I love your kitchen girl!!lookks great and Iam so happy schooling is going good for you!!I so enjoyed seeing you at the bithday party.

For His Glory said...

ooohhh BEautiful quote Karen! I have to catch up on your posts girlfriend, you've been going to town when I wasn't looking :) Hee hee

Matt5verse6 said...

I can't believe I haven't posted on here yet. I agree with Kristin and Crystal, your homeschool area does look great!!! I am so glad you had a wonderful day schooling and I am thankful I got to see you and fellowship with you a little last weekend! ♥